Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Orlando Carebreak Day 2



Hello, my name is Tracey McPherson and I am a senior at Slippery Rock University. Today was our second day volunteering at Give Kids the World Village. Today I was placed at the horse riding area. I was responsible for assisting the children while they rode horses around the track. This was a great experience for both me and for all of the children that we came across. Many of these children were sick and even in wheelchairs which made horse-riding a very big deal. It was rewarding for me to see the joy on their faces and it made me happy to know that I played a part in creating their wonderful experience. Although it was very hot outside and the horse kept whipping me with its tail, I would do it all over again.

Later on this evening our group participated in an event called Kids Night Out and this event allowed the parents of these children to get a break and have some time for themselves. Each of us volunteers was paired up with a child. We played with our assigned children for about an hour before we went to the Gingerbread House for dinner. After dinner we went to the theater in the village where we watched or participated in Village Idol. This event was a lot like American Idol and it gave each child the opportunity to show case their own unique talents. At the shows conclusion, each participant was given a ribbon as a reward. We all had a great time and the children really were great! Today was even better than the first day and I really anticipate what tomorrow will hold.

No comments:

Post a Comment