Monday, June 6, 2011

Firsthand Account - Chelsea Benzie (New Mexico 2011)

One of the most sought after trips the Alternative Spring Break program offers tends to be the Mescalero Apache Reservation trip in New Mexico.  I asked one of the students who participated in that trip this past spring to give us a firsthand account of her experiences. Chelsea Benzie will be a junior this coming school year. She is a Pre-Engineering major in the 3+2 program.  After this year she will head to Penn State Main for the remainder of her degree. Read her experience below.



"I wasn’t sure what to expect when I first signed up for a Care Break to go to Mescalero, New Mexico. My expectations were that I was going to hopefully meet a few new people and help out a place that was in need. My expectations were far exceeded when I first stepped onto the grounds of the Mescalero Apache Indian Fish Hatchery. This service trip was so much more than I had ever hoped for; I became friends with so many new people, experienced a culture totally different than my own, and had a blast doing service. For our service we had a chance to help feed and transfer fish at their fish hatchery. We also did a lot of physical labor by building a rock wall to keep the fish hatchery safe to prevent floods wiping out the fish hatchery like it has in many past years. We got the opportunity to learn a lot about the Native American culture through hearing their stories and even hearing tribal songs. The New Mexico trip has been one of the best experiences of my life and it has definitely made me want to participate in another Care Break trip."  -Chelsea Benzie
Check back at a later date for more updates and accounts!

1 comment:

  1. I couldnt agree more with Chels, this trip was by far the best one of my life. Mescalero has so much to offer. I had a blast working at the fish hatchery. I also met so many new people who are my some of my good friends, even including the natives!!!!! I would love to go back and work for mike again. The people there are wonderful!

    ReplyDelete